REPORT PROPOSAL - DEFINING MY QUESTION

I've sent my initial ideas off to get some feedback, and have started to take action on what I received back.

The main point that both parties discussed was the question itself; I had been struggling to define what I wanted to look at specifically, which was picked up on. I was asked about what I aim to learn from my research, what sense of direction am I going for, etc. So in cataloguing the journey of this research, I've decided to make a post to explain what I'm going to be focusing on, now that I have a better idea.

WHAT IS THE WORKING TITLE / QUESTION?

How do studios create a sensitive animated series reboot?

This title is still a WIP, but it's giving me more direction and focus into what exactly I need to look into. I need to give credit to Lynsey for help with this question, her comments on my initial ideas really helped me to decide what exactly I need to be asking.

WHAT DO YOU HOPE TO LEARN FROM THIS ESSAY?

I want to learn what a reboot has to do to pay respect to the original, but still create an identity for itself. In my post discussing my definition of a reboot, I state that a reboot is 
"[a] series that restarts a previously made piece of media after it has ended". It ignores previous plotlines and character arcs, starting with the basic setup of the original series and then developing it's own identity from there.

I've found that, through observation of online reception to reboots, reactions vary depending on how the reboot is handled. As an off the cuff comment, it seems that reboots that don't take themselves as seriously as the original and / or change their overall tone receive more hate and criticism than reboots that retain elements closer to the originals. For example, the Teen Titans reboot, Teen Titans Go!, seems to receive more hate after shifting from a serious tone to a slapstick comedy one. Compared to the reboot of She-Ra: Princess of Power, entitled She-Ra and the Princesses of Power, receives less online criticism due to it keeping a similar tone to it's predecessor. 

Again, in my reboot post, I talk about how reboots start with the basis of the original series, and then takes it's own direction. Finding what happens in the second step is the more important of the two steps, as it will answer what is dictated as an appropriate reboot or not. 

WHAT ESSAY TYPE WILL IT BE?

An extended essay. These are like the essays I've written for university before; however, they have an increased word count, and expect more in depth explaination. For this essay, it's 5,000 words, which I'm more than happy with. I found with the other essays, the word counts there were really restrictive. I couldn't find concise ways to present certain points and statements, which lead to me struggling to find any more fat to trim. This increased word count should help amend that. I also decided an extended essay over the industry report, technical report and editorial report because I know the standard essay format well, and I'm comfortable writing in it. This research report is a big deal, and I don't want to risk getting a low mark by trying a risky new format that could make or break my degree.

WHAT RESEARCH DO YOU NEED TO DO FROM HERE?

I've already started at the most basic level I can for this subject area, which is looking into the shows themselves. I think that I should create companion posts to go with the show posts, talking about how the two are different from each other in length. Talking about tone, genre, writing style, art style, etc. I think if I had to focus on one area, it'd probably be the way it's written.

I think it's important to know everything around the shows inside and out before I move further. This could lead to me looking into more behind the scenes information, seeing what the originals were based on, if the reboots did more research than just on their predecessor, etc.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REPORT PROPOSAL - VOLTRON

REPORT PROPOSAL - DUCKTALES

THE FINAL SIN - FINAL DRAFT